grub-devel

Re: Current state of grub2 encryption support

From: steve
Subject: Re: Current state of grub2 encryption support
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:56:16 -0400

Thank you very much. The source builds and seems to function fine, I did some experimentation loading the necessary crypto modules directly into core.img but i believe i hit either a size limit or some other unknown problem, so i loaded the bare necessity of minicmd, ext2, biosdisk and pc and had it read the rest of the modules from an ext2 partition. The luks module loads fine, finds an aes:cbc-essiv:sha256 partition and asks for the key, seems to unlock it, and i am currently investigating why it doesn't want to read the filesystem :) It did however produce a new device (hd2) which i presume would be the plaintext device.

Is it going to be possible in the future to have everything needed for crypto loaded into core.img so that an unencrypted partition is not necessary?

Thanks,
Steve
Xerces Partners

2009/3/30 Michael Gorven <address@hidden>
On Sunday 29 March 2009 21:54:54 steve wrote:
> Whatever is easier for you, though a repo would be easier for me.

I've published the repo at http://michael.gorven.za.net/hg/grub/luks. I merged
with trunk this morning and fixed some compilation errors, but haven't
actually tested it yet so it might be broken ;-)

Michael

--
http://michael.gorven.za.net
PGP Key ID 6612FE85