grub-devel

Raid 5 on raw disk install is broken.

From: Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Subject: Raid 5 on raw disk install is broken.
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:04:19 +1300

Hi,

I have a raid array named /dev/md/d0

The comand

grub-setup -r "(md0,1)" "(md0)" fails with:
grub-setup: error: Can't open /dev/md0: No such file or directory.

I have traced this down to lines 68 - 70  in util/raid.c  a copy of the
offending lines is:

  devname = xmalloc (strlen (name) + 6);
  strcpy (devname, "/dev/");
  strcpy (devname+5, name);

The problem is that it appears to sake the grub device id "md0" and
simply append it to the string "/dev/" to get /dev/md0.  This will break
any installation of grub on mdraid whole disk sets.

Can I suggest a fix might be  a similar method used by util/hostdisk
function opendisk:
(Line 311):    strcpy (dev, map[disk->id].device);

Also,  can someone point me to the resources I need so I can build the
debian package out of the svn tree?

Thanks,
--
Daniel Reurich

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Limited.
Ph: 021 797 722