grub-devel

Re: Idea: move grub-emu to a separate platform

From: David Miller
Subject: Re: Idea: move grub-emu to a separate platform
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:08:13 -0700 (PDT)

From: Robert Millan <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:42:34 +0100

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 02:36:00PM +0800, Bean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently, the grub-emu is in every rmk files, but I don't see the
> > difference between grub-emu in i386-pc, i386-coreboot or i386-efi. In
> > fact, grub-emu runs inside the host os, it can't access firmware
> > facility anyway. One quick fix to move grub-emu to i386.rmk, but we
> > could also put it in a new platform altogether, something like
> > i386-host.
> >
> > The advantage of using a separate platform is that we could now use
> > modules like the other platform, instead of embedding all source files
> > in grub-emu. For example, whenever we add a new command, we need to
> > modify the source list of grub-emu. But if we build i386-host like
> > other platform, we only need to change common.rmk.
>
> Can't we just use common.rmk instead?  Adding a separate namespace for
> util/ stuff looks like unnecessary complication.  We already have e.g.
> grub-probe, grub-setup, etc which don't need this hack.

I think this would be nicer too.

If there are target specific bits to deal with, we could just
have a target.rmk specific rule that builds a library with
those objects, or use some macro containing those target
specific objects.  And then the common.rmk rule links them
into the common grub-emu rule.