grub-devel

Re: multiboot on EFI

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: multiboot on EFI
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:31:14 +0900

On Saturday 28 March 2009 22:13:06 Robert Millan wrote:
> Do we need the memory map to be sorted?  AFAIK loadees can cope with
> unsorted maps fine;  is there an exception?

As I wrote in the draft, a boot loader should sort the memory map. An OS image
must deal with an unsorted memory map, because the wording is "should", but
it is still user-friendly (especially for debugging).

> > +#ifdef GRUB_MACHINE_PCBIOS
> > +  grub_stop_floppy ();
> > +#endif
>
> grub_stop_floppy() doesn't do any BIOS-specific stuff.  Wouldn't __i386__
> be more appropiate?

This should be moved to an arch-specific finalization function. Honestly, I
prefer that this is done by disk drivers automatically when unloading, but
some people seem to like giving up unloading modules.

Regards,
Okuji