grub-devel

Re: GRUB device names wrt. ieee1275

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: GRUB device names wrt. ieee1275
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:51:14 +0100

You could do it the way similar to how it's done on i386-pc:
jmp use_hardcoded
<code to retrieve boot block path>
use_hardcoded:
And then the grub-setup tool nops out the first jump if stage2 resides on a disk different than where bootblock is
From: phcoder <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:17:17 +0100

As for the boot block I would prefer to acquire bootpath from OFW
instead of hardcoding in the boot sector. It has an obvious
advantage of e.g. USB booting even if no "usb" alias is defined. Is
it possible? (It seems it is but I'm not familiar with OFW yet,
looking at nvram is a bad idea because user may manually boot
another device from OFW console)

You can obtain the disk where the boot block was loaded from but with
GRUB that can be miles away from where the second stage boot block and
rest of the GRUB kernel reside.

I've been through this thought process already, that's why I've
designed it this way with the full path encoded into the first stage
boot block.

--

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko