grub-devel

Re: Move loader.c out of the kernel

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Move loader.c out of the kernel
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:54:51 +0100

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:01:41PM +0900, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> > If it's unable to read FS then it can't boot much anyway. If it's it can
> > load modules from its own partition. The only use I see is when grub
> > partition is corrupted but OS one is intact and you already have FS
> > driver for root in grub2.
> > Alternatively commands/boot.c can be a part of minicmd
>
> "cannot load any more module" != "cannot read the filesystem"
>
> The most typical case is where the user has failed in installing GRUB
> correctly;

In my experience dealing with grub2 bug reports in debian, the most common
case where user entered rescue mode is some bug in grub.

As grub becomes more mature, this may become less of an issue, but then again
an automated install process is provided by the distribution.  If users want
to tinker and install things by hand, and they make mistakes, I think they
should learn to either do things right or let the distribution scripts do it
for them.

Or to put it another way, "nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented
fool" :-)

--
Robert Millan