grub-devel

Re: Move loader.c out of the kernel

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: Move loader.c out of the kernel
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:30:24 +0100

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Sunday 22 March 2009 22:06:36 phcoder wrote:
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Sunday 22 March 2009 21:48:21 phcoder wrote:
Hello. Now when boot command isn't in kernel anymore I don't see why
loader.c stays in kernel. Here is the patch to move it to boot.mod
This is not useful in reality, because the loader interface needs to be
pre-loaded into core.img anyway.
Why? I successfully tested core.img with just pc fat and biosdisk
modules integrated. It loads boot.mod just fine and boots linux and
multiboot with no problem

Try the rescue mode with no extra module loaded. If the core.img does not have any loader, it is useless.
If it's unable to read FS then it can't boot much anyway. If it's it can load modules from its own partition. The only use I see is when grub partition is corrupted but OS one is intact and you already have FS driver for root in grub2.
Alternatively commands/boot.c can be a part of minicmd

Okuji

 > Note that the more you split code into
modules, the more the size of core.img is, as long as they are all
pre-loaded.

Regards,
Okuji