grub-devel

Re: Boot delay when using grub.efi on Mac Mini

From: Grant Edwards
Subject: Re: Boot delay when using grub.efi on Mac Mini
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:07:32 +0000 (UTC)

On 2009-03-14, Peter Cros <address@hidden> wrote:

>>  1) Mac firmware not being able to boot from anything other
>>     than an HFS+ partion on a GPT partioned drive.
>>

> I got curious and rechecked this -
> Here is grub.efi booting from usb msdos drive with hfsplus partition -

That's good to know.  I guess I should have tried it rather
assuming as true the posts about requiring a GPT partition.  Of
course that may be something tha varies by model or by firmware
revision.

> --setBoot gives deafult fast boot to grub menu, but when booted that way,
> grub can only see its own disk (hd0)

That's OK for what I'm doing.

>>  2) MiniMyth kernel lacks support for EFI/GPT parition tables
>>     and SATA hard drives.

> The list of drivers for minimyth seems to include those used
> for sata on my macs, but you may have better info.

I should have qualified my statement -- it doesn't include the
AHCI SATA driver required for recent Mac Minis.

--
Grant