grub-devel

Re: Migrating to GRUB 2 in Debian (Re: Interesting GSoC project ideas fo

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: Migrating to GRUB 2 in Debian (Re: Interesting GSoC project ideas for 09)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:23:19 +0100

Look at load_env/save_env commands and grub-editenv util
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Thursday 05 March 2009 05:59:52 Robert Millan wrote:
We don't need a complete match of all the GRUB Legacy features in order to
migrate.  The things I identified as needed for migration in Debian are
listed here:

  http://wiki.debian.org/GrubTransition

I think Xen is fixed now though (someone can confirm?).  For grub-reboot
/ savedefault almost all the pieces are there already (thanks to bean).

For lock / password we need to agree on whether the proposed approach is
acceptable, or otherwise what needs to be done.

I have the same regression problem as Debian, personally. The password-based security feature is not quite important for me, but savedefault / fallback are critical to use GRUB in a remote environment (to upgrade / replace a kernel safely).

So, I am ready for spending time to review any patch about this. Could you pinpoint where the "proposed approach" is?

Regards,
Okuji