grub-devel

Re: [Patch] remove bsd asm helper functions

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: [Patch] remove bsd asm helper functions
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:00:23 +0100

Hello. Now I noticed that the helper are still necessary when booting i386 kernel on efi-x86_64. I would like this code to be uniform accross i386 branches so please don't commit this patch it will be soon superseed by my next work
phcoder wrote:
Sorry, forgot changelog entry. Here it is:
2009-02-11  Vladimir Serbinenko  <address@hidden>

    Move BSD helper out of kernel

    * conf/i386-pc.rmk: Add loader/i386/bsd_helper.S to _bsd.mod
    * kern/i386/loader.S: Removed BSD helpers
    * include/grub/i386/loader.h: Removed declaration of
    grub_unix_real_boot
    * loader/i386/bsd.c (grub_freebsd_boot): Replaced call to
    grub_unix_real_boot by direct call of kernel
    (grub_netbsd_boot): Likewise
    (grub_openbsd_boot): Likewise

phcoder wrote:
Hello. Asm helper functions for bsd aren't really needed. Actually BSD entry point may be called directly as cdecl function. With this approach theese helper functions don't take place in kernel anymore. Tested with freebsd, openbsd and netbsd. However my tests were limited to launching kernel and see if it complains about not being able to mount root. Can someone test it with complete system?
Thanks
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

--

Regards