grub-devel

Detection and installation of Grub on Raid1 disks.

From: Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Subject: Detection and installation of Grub on Raid1 disks.
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:04:16 +1300

Hi,

I've just tried installing debian lenny on Raid1 with Grub2 for boot.

The disks are raided using the command to create the raid:
mdadm -C /dev/md/d0 -ap2 -l1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

I've tried both the lenny v1.96+20080724-16 and experimental v196
+20081201-1 on x86

I can't get grub-install to work (fails with grub setup), and grub-probe
only works properly for the symlink /dev/md_d0p1 not the /dev/md/d0p1

If I run grub-emu everything I can acess the raid disks and partions
fine using the (md0) and (md0,n) fine, but I obviously can't install
from there like I used to do from grub-legacy  (I found it to be the
most reliable way of installing grub legacy anyway).

Has anything chaged since the december build that may have fixed this?

If not, I'll pull the latest svn and have a hack and see if I can solve
this.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Reurich

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Limited.
Ph: 021 797 722