grub-devel

Re: GRUB hardened boot framework

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GRUB hardened boot framework
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:26:07 +0100

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:18:17AM +0100, phcoder wrote:
>> If the code that does the authentication is loaded from the encrypted
>> partition,
>> without being checked, this is true, but we assume, that core.img is already
>> loaded (and checked), so the authentication code is not on the encrypted
>> partition, and can detect any tampering.
> As far as I understood Robert Millan was suggesting that just encrypting
>  (but not verifying) your kernel is enough. I wanted to show wha it isn't

Fair enough.  My point is that we don't need overcomplicated mechanisms to
measure every module, config file or component separately.  After core.img
is verified/loaded, it's much simpler to handle the rest at this layer
below the filesystem, which doesn't require significant redesign of how
GRUB works.

--
Robert Millan