grub-devel

Re: Building grub2 for windows

From: Alexandre Bique
Subject: Re: Building grub2 for windows
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:48:51 +0000

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Christian Franke
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Alexandre Bique wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to build grub2-svn for windows by using mingw32 or cygwin
>> but it fails to generate valid windows executables (grub-setup,
>> grub-mkimage, etc...).
>>
>> My configure line:
>> ./configure --prefix $HOME/grub-install
>>
>> using mingw32, msys, gcc 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3), binutils
>> 2.19.1
>> I also tried with cygwin, gcc 3.4.4, binutils 2.18.50.20080625.
>>

> Grub2 should build out of the box on Cygwin. The following works for me
> with current grub2 svn (revision 2001) on current Cygwin 1.5.25-15:
>
> $ ./configure --enable-grub-fstest --prefix=/tmp/inst
> $ make
> $ make install
> $ /tmp/inst/bin/grub-mkrescue grub-rescue.iso
> ... boot grub-rescue.iso ...
>
> There is actually one issue in current grub2 svn: Build with
> --enable-grub-emu configure option does not work. It fails with
> undefined symbol 'grub_millisleep'.
>
> What is the error message you got on Cygwin ?

The problem is that make install installs elf binaries and not win32
binaries. But win32 binaries are compiled. I moved win32 binaries by
hand.

There is also a problem if you specify a root directory with space, i
think that some variables are not protected with "$my_var" in some
shell scripts.

Thank you very much.

--
Alexandre Bique