grub-devel

Re: GRUB trusted boot framework

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: GRUB trusted boot framework
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:42:53 +0100

Ok, but your already talking of a specific solution here. My conclusion would
be: The hooks need to be able to determine the filename, that is currently read.

And then also where it comes from but some files may have different filenames. IMO the solution work independently of the order of files and where they come from. TPM checking is too limited for grub2 architecture.

The reason why I want generic read hooks, is that I want it to inter operate
with everything else. So I should not need to figure out what files e.g. the
linux loader is going to read, or change it's code to do so.
You can do anything secure without collaboration from upper layers. Consider a huge loopback image from which you load only kernel. In you solution it will unnecessary check the whole image
Greets,

Jan

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko