grub-devel

Re: A _good_ and valid use for TPM

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: A _good_ and valid use for TPM
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:31:36 +0100

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 05:29:34PM +0200, Michael Gorven wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 15:51:42 Robert Millan wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 09:45:28AM +0200, Michael Gorven wrote:
> > > TPM can be used for good or for bad, but this is the case for everything
> > > involving cryptography. We don't refuse to use encryption algorithms
> > > because they could be used for DRM, so why should we refuse to use TPM?
> >
> > I don't agree with this analogy.  Unlike cryptography, TPMs have been
> > designed from the ground up to serve an evil purpose.  They *could* have
> > designed them with good intent, for example either of these could apply:
> >
> >   - Buyer gets a printed copy of the TPM's private key when they buy a
> > board.
> >
> >   - An override button that's physically accessible from the chip can be
> >     used to disable "hostile mode" and make the TPM sign everything.  From
> >     that point physical access can be managed with traditional methods
> > (e.g. locks).
> >
> > But they didn't.
>
> Just to clarify, are you objecting to the use of TPM on principle and because
> you don't want to encourage use of it, or because you think this specific use
> (trusted boot path) is dangerous?

I can't reply to this question, because it's not just a specific use, it's
part of the design, of its purpose.  One of the design goals is remote
attestation, which is a threat to our freedom and is unethical.

If there was a device that behaves like a TPM except remote attestation is
not possible (e.g. by one of the means described above), I wouldn't object
to it, and I think the GNU project wouldn't either, but then referring to
that as "TPM" is misleading.

--
Robert Millan