grub-devel

Re: Design: first sector of core.img

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Design: first sector of core.img
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:09:44 +0100

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:12:25PM +0100, phcoder wrote:
> Hello. For SHA-1 verified boot first sector needs to check the rest of
> core.img. It will need heavy modifications. On the same time I would
> like to avoid changes to current boot process so that both alternatives
> are available (SHA-1 and plain boot). In the same time even in current
> design the first sector plays a special role. So I propose first sector
> to be moved to a separate file and then at install time grub-mkimage or
> grub-setup can take care of choosing right one depending on options
> supplied by user (plain or SHA-1 boot)

Have you looked at how the boot process works when using coreboot/GRUB ?
By getting rid of the legacy stuff, things get much more flexible.

Check the grub.cfg example in:

  http://grub.enbug.org/CoreBoot

to see what I mean.  Most pieces are there already.  When we merge crypto
support, it'll be possible for GRUB-in-chip to verify GRUB-in-disk.

Then the chip becomes your root of trust, which is what you're pursuing, if I
understood correctly.  But if I was serious about security, I wouldn't make
a BIOS blob my root of trust, GRUB is a much better option ;-)

--
Robert Millan