grub-devel

Re: SHA-1 MBR

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: SHA-1 MBR
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:43:14 +0100

I agree that these measures aren't here to protect against serious cryptanalyst. Actually there is a way which is even in my reach to crack it. I would buy:
pci firewire card $10
Then I would download firewire debug tools and put pci card into target computer then wait that it boots and dump the whole memory (a bug in many firewire implementations allows to do it). Then the key can be easily found in this dump. However the first question of security is
-What are the threats faced?
(Bruce Schneier "Beyond Fear")
Classical cryptography works under some assumptions and this scheme is totally unsecure under these assumptions. However I recognise that it can be useful in some cases.
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko