grub-devel

Re: cat with pagination

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: cat with pagination
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 00:54:58 +0900

On Sunday 08 February 2009 06:33:46 Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:29:24PM -0800, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> > > There has been also a talk to enable pager=1 as a default.
> >
> > Which, as I recall, Okuji rejected because it could cause a
> > unattended/non-interactive boot process to hang unexpectedly if too
> > much output was produced for some reason.
> >
> > Perhaps the pager could default to being enabled whenever an
> > interactive command line is in use, but default to disabled when the
> > invoking command is not being executed from an interactive command line.
> > This would be the most logical solution IMO.
>
> Better CC him.

I don't always want to use a pager even from a command line. If GRUB sets
pager=1 forcibly, I dislike it. I prefer that computers behave as I like, to
that I behave as computers like.

BTW, I don't like "pager" at all personally. For me, this is a hack only for
working around that GRUB has no support for pipes.

Regards,
Okuji