grub-devel

Re: unicode font slowness (Re: gettext patch (beta))

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: unicode font slowness (Re: gettext patch (beta))
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 00:47:37 -0800

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 22:26:36 +0100
Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:08:28AM +0200, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> >
> > Are you using gfxterm ? If yes, then your font is missing í. Try to load
> > unifont.bf2 or unicode.bf2. I think debian defaults to ascii.bf2 which
> > may not include that glyph.
>
> Actually, it's us who default to ascii:
>
> 2008-07-23  Robert Millan  <address@hidden>
>
>       [...]
>
>         * util/update-grub_lib.in (font_path): Prefer ascii.pff over complete
>         fonts, because the latter are too slow.
>
> before this change, using the complete fonts was incredibly slow in things
> like QEMU or VirtualBox.
>
> Perhaps there's some way in which this can be optimized, so we can go back to
> using the complete set by default?

I'm optimizing the font rendering now for fonts with many characters.
It was using a linear search (gasp!!) for finding the glyph each time
it is requested.  I just never got around to using the proper data
structure, but I will have this done soon.

I made a text rendering benchmark and added it to 'videotest bench' so
I can objectively measure the improvement achieved.  The improvement
could be significant.  I'll report more later.

Regards,
Colin