grub-devel

Re: Framebuffer address and kernel video mode

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: Framebuffer address and kernel video mode
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 07:11:32 +0100

Colin D Bennett wrote:
feature.  That is, potentially future video drivers might not use a
framebuffer. (OpenGL driver? :-)

In this context I would think more about X11 or vnc driver

> The VBE driver can return the
framebuffer address, but if another driver can't provide it, then maybe
NULL is returned instead, and this would have to be handled by clients
of the video API.
That's why I proposed to pass variable name to the parameter. Not having a framebuffer address means that xnu will boot in blind mode. So one should be able to specify video drivers for grub and xnu separately:
E.g
gfxmode=vnc
[..]
menuentry "Darwin" {