grub-devel

Re: Cross-compilation check broken

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Cross-compilation check broken
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:07:37 +0100

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 09:14:34PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello, Robert!
>
> Your commit 1955 breaks my script for testing PowerPC.  That's the
> script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> set -e
> CROSS_PATH=/home/proski/src/buildroot/build_powerpc/staging_dir/usr/bin
> PATH=$CROSS_PATH:$PATH
> ./configure --with-platform=ieee1275 --target=powerpc-linux
> make -j2
> ./grub-mkrescue --grub-mkimage=./grub-mkelfimage --pkglibdir=. grub.iso
> qemu-system-ppc -nographic -cdrom grub.iso -boot d
>
> I compile for target "powerpc-linux" and I have powerpc-linux-gcc in the
> PATH.  However, I'm using native tools.  I'm not interested in running
> tools in an emulator (actually, I have another script that does it).
> Therefore, build and host are the same, so TARGET_CC is set to gcc.
>
> The new check must be wrong.  TARGET_CC is used to build executables for
> the target system.  It should be found using the specified target even
> if the tools are compiled natively.
>
> Actually, the original check wasn't particularly good.  Maybe we could
> check if target_alias is defined?  Or maybe we could always check for
> TARGET_CC?

Hi Pavel,

This check looks really confusing.  I naively assumed it was checking if we're
cross-compiling like the comment said ;-)

But if it really meant to compare target with host, I think it should be:

  if test "x$target_cpu" != "x$host_cpu"; then

rather than what was before:

  if test "x$target" != "x$host"; then

Since "$target_os" has no real meaning.  Does that work for you?

--
Robert Millan