grub-devel

Re: State of GRUB on PowerPC

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: State of GRUB on PowerPC
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:57:47 -0500

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 08:19 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> I was able to reproduce Jordi's findings on my PowerBook G4. (Well,
> except device.map seems to get generated correctly and the search
> command seems to work for me, maybe this is due to differences between
> our OF device trees or something like that)
>
> After some printf-style debugging over the weekend, the failure to load
> some modules indeed turns out to be an hfs.mod bug: the problem is that
> strncasecmp() doesn't match the HFS B-tree sort order, which in
> particular breaks lookup of files with an underscore in their name. The
> first attached patch fixes this using a lookup table from Linux
> fs/hfs/string.c.

Actually, the return value of grub_strncasecmp() was incorrect until
recently.  Maybe the current version would work for you?

I'm not against your patch, but I'd like to understand how important it
is for GRUB.

Please write a ChangeLog entry for the patch.

> The failure to auto-load some modules like search was also caused by
> this, the auto-loading process aborts after failing to load a module. It
> might be better to continue auto-loading other modules anyway.

Patches are welcome.  With explanations, please.

> BTW, I also need the second attached patch to be able to boot my
> self-built 32 bit kernels configured to support 2GB lowmem.
> elf->ehdr.ehdr32.e_entry ends up as 0x70000000.

Strange.  The original mask should ensure that elf->ehdr.ehdr32.e_entry
is less than 0x40000000.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin