grub-devel

Re: grub-efi x86_64 on macbook air?

From: step21
Subject: Re: grub-efi x86_64 on macbook air?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:23:19 +0100

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Javier Martín <address@hidden> wrote:
> El mié, 28-01-2009 a las 18:30 +0100, step21 escribió:

>> > Are you sure that Debian lenny supports booting from EFI? I'm quite
>> > literally talking out of my ass here, so I don't have a clue, but it
>> > seems that the kernel you're trying to boot is trying to use BIOS
>> > functionality. GRUB does _not_ include BIOS emulation, so that will
>> > certainly not work. In order for a Linux kernel to boot from EFI, you
>> > have to enable the switch in the pre-build kernel configuration.
>> >
>> > From my past knowledge (on my brother's Macbook), at least Ubuntu/x86
>> > kernels _do_ have the EFI switch enabled, so you might give it a try and
>> > check if that's what's going wrong.
>> >
>> > On the OS X and keyboard issues, I'm afraid I cannot help you. Perhaps
>> > our elders would be wiser?
>> >
>> > PS: you could try, however, to enable debug output when compiling your
>> > GRUB so that you could see if there was anything wrong when loading the
>> > file, like a hypothetical hfs.mod error (again, talking out of my
>> > non-talking orifices)

>> Well, I didn't check specifically, but afaik the kernel has it
>> enabled. I tried with an ubuntu kernel before which didn't even get
>> that far. (just loaded kernel/initrd on commandline, but after "boot"
>> nothing happened)
>> Yes, I know grub does not supply bios emulation, but maybe the kernel
>> just fails to recongize that it's supposed to use efi?
>> On compiling kernel and grub2: I couldn't get compiling grub2 to work
>> on os x, even with a seperate gnu gcc, then it failed on linking and
>> it seems there is no gnu version of ld available for os x. (people say
>> it just doesn't run) so I kinda gave up. Also, which applies also to
>> kernel compiling, currently this is the only machine that totally
>> belongs to myself. I might drob wubi or something on some windows box
>> nobody really uses, and hope ppl don't hate me too much for that, then
>> I could compile grub2/my own kernel where I know I have everything
>> enabled. Anything specific I should be aware of if I compile grub2
>> with debug support? Someone on irc mentioned invoking grub_set_env()
>> in grub_main() or something, is that right? I know that I can set
>> debug=all in grub.cfg, but most of the time the output is so mch it
>> just floods my whole screen ...
>
> No, sorry, I'm afraid you found the last element of the food chain here,
> so I just gave you whatever I could gather from past experience. As I
> said, the elders may be wiser. However, if you cannot boot an Ubuntu
> liveCD (which _did_ work for my Macbook), you might be better off asking
> about EFI and the Macbook Air in the Debian and Ubuntu forms, rather
> than the grub-devel list: maybe it's just a kernel switch you're
> missing, or you could try to disable the "quiet splash" switches and see
> what the kernel spits out, etc.

Yeah, sure thanks for that.
Just to close up on this: Booting from a livecd would work, but this
is both impratical (no built in cdrom for example, and not sure if
permanent settings would work) but mostly this would then use bios
emulation, meaning it would not use grub-efi at all.
This is not just about setting this up for me (if it was I'd just
create a 50 MB partition and install grub-pc onto it), but
investigating whether it is a viable boot method that might be
packageable into some kind of mac version of wubi. This excludes
anything that uses grub-pc as that would require a seperate partition
and therefore partitioning. (just wanted to make this clear, and
thanks again)