grub-devel

Re: grub-efi x86_64 on macbook air?

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: grub-efi x86_64 on macbook air?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:05:01 +0100

El mié, 28-01-2009 a las 18:30 +0100, step21 escribió:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Javier Martín <address@hidden> wrote:
> > El mié, 28-01-2009 a las 17:42 +0100, step21 escribió:
> >> Hey, while investigating possibilities on how it might be possible to
> >> install/run something "wubi" like on macs (without having windows
> >> installed) I ran into a couple of issues. I post here mainly in hope
> >> that one of the folks that actually wrote the code for this or at
> >> least have experience with it read this, cause most ppl on irc (while
> >> being very helpful) seem to know more about the pure x86/bios/linux
> >> side of things.
> >>
> >> Besides some (minor?) issues like that the command line
> >> freezes/becomes unresponsive after a (relatively short) amount of time
> >> and the fact that booting back to OS X (which everyone says should
> >> work 100%) does not work at all (it complains that it can't find the
> >> specified os x *efi, but it is there, and search correctly finds the
> >> right drive) my biggest problem right now is the following:
> >>
> >> I got some kerne/initrd combo to boot (2.6.26 from debian lenny
> >> netinstall iirc) but it gets to the language selection screen, first
> >> thing you notice, the keyboard is dead. I supplied "init=/bin/sh" to
> >> be able to read at least the last of the error messages. As it turns
> >> out to me it seems that seemingly everything pci-related is
> >> unavailable. Error messages are as follows:
> >>
> >> [time after boot]PCI No IRQ known for interrup pin C of device
> >> 0000:00:1a.7. Please Try using pci=biosirq
> >> [time after boot]ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7 Found HC with no IRQ. Check
> >> BIOS/PCI 0000:00:1a.7 setup!
> >> [time after boot]ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7 fail, -19
> >> (of course time/device ids and pins (A-D) changed, but otherwise they
> >> were the same I think)
> >> I tried supplying pci=biosirq although I didn't think it would work,
> >> and it didn't, or some solution for a similiar issue from the debian
> >> wiki for the macbook (using a usb keyboard) which didn't work either.
> >> The usb keyboard works for refit and grub, but not once booted into
> >> linux. On some other wiki page it was suggested to supply "noapic
> >> acpi=force" and maybe "irqpoll" which I tried in various combinations
> >> without a change.
> >>
> >> The machine I use for testing this is a first generation macbook air.
> >> Now while there are numerous reports about people running linux on it
> >> (pretty well actually) by providing it with a legacy bios environment,
> >> I didn't find a report about one running grub-efi on it successfully
> >> to boot linux. The most relevant posts my searches come up with are my
> >> own posts on the ubunutu forums.
> >>
> >> So, I'm not sure who is to blame here, or if it's maybe just my own
> >> fault, but I decided that it would be nice to get the
> >> opinion/solutions? of some ppl who might be more intimately familiar
> >> with the workings of the mac boot firmware etc. and maybe know if this
> >> actually has been tested and should work, or not.
> >>
> >> Thanks for an help in advance.

> [...]

No, sorry, I'm afraid you found the last element of the food chain here,
so I just gave you whatever I could gather from past experience. As I
said, the elders may be wiser. However, if you cannot boot an Ubuntu
liveCD (which _did_ work for my Macbook), you might be better off asking
about EFI and the Macbook Air in the Debian and Ubuntu forms, rather
than the grub-devel list: maybe it's just a kernel switch you're
missing, or you could try to disable the "quiet splash" switches and see
what the kernel spits out, etc.