grub-devel

Re: EFI Boot on MacPro

From: Bean
Subject: Re: EFI Boot on MacPro
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 14:58:44 +0800

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Ziling Zhao <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 21:14:48 Bean wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:54 PM, peter cros <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The kernel vesion may be the bug there, I have found grub.efi needs
>> > 2.6.26 or later, configured with EFI enabled, else the result is similar
>> > to yours.
>> >
>> > I have had a grub.efi test package built from vesion 1913, running  in
>> > ubuntuforums.com (apple intel) for a while, a number of people tried it.
>> >
>> > grub.efi it would load and run for Apple MacBook2,1, Apple mini2,1
>> > MacBook pro 2,2 or earlier , i.e. none of the current Apple MacBooks, but
>> > no reports   for Apple xserver, Imac or Mac Pro.
>>
>> Later models have switched to 64-bit firmware, you need to use
>> x86_64-efi version of grub2.
>
> Which models switched to 64bit firmware? Form the looks of it, all of them are
> still using EFI 1.x, does Grub2 support EFI 1.x with x86_64?
>
> I believe the kernel version that I am running is 2.6.27.
>
> I'll try again with the x86_64 version of Grub2 tomorrow.

Hi,

The new ""Santa Rosa" generation of macbook is 64-bit. Although I
double that it's the problem. If the firmware doesn't match, you can't
load grub2 at all.

Oh btw, you shouldn't load 64-bit linux kernel in 32-bit firmware, and
vice verse.

Your problem could be caused by 2.6.27. I only test 2.6.26, perhaps
you can try that and see how it goes.

--
Bean