grub-devel

Re: Unable to use grub2

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: Unable to use grub2
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:07:34 -0800

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:32:36 +0530
"Varun Deshpande" <address@hidden> wrote:

> hi
> i am very new here.
> i want to contribute for grub. so first step to compile grub code &
> install it. i complied code with normal way i.e.
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>

> after that when i run grub --version i got old version
> grub (GNU GRUB 0.97)
>
> i am unable to solve what happened actually
> plz help me??

When you run './configure', the default prefix under which the programs
are installed is '/usr/local'.  So, to run the GRUB 2 programs,
run /usr/local/bin/grub-install, etc.

You can also change the prefix with './configure --prefix=/opt/grub2'
for instance.  I would recommend you do NOT use '/usr' as the prefix
for hand-compiled installations when you have GRUB legacy (or even an
instance of GRUB 2) installed with your OS distribution's package
management system.

Regards,
Colin