grub-devel

Re: localization of Grub

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: localization of Grub
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:36:05 +0100

Hello,

On Dec/14/2008, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 03:33:49PM +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> > Which method do you think that we should use?
> > With failback option?
>
> I have no idea about this, and others in this list didn't reply.  I suggest
> you ask Jordi Mallach (CCed).  He's quite knowledgeable about such things
> and often hangs around here too ;-)

I've resent the mail to Jordi...

Today morning I've implemented a .mo reader, based on this
specification:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/MO-Files.html#MO-Files

It's a very basic implementation, and not inside Grub but as a C
standalone program.

After having the the shell scripts localization I will port my .mo
reader to Grub.

Right now is not using the hash table, we save a bit of space in the .mo
files and in code (I haven't implemented, I don't think that Grub has so
much strings to need the hash table, specially when the documentation
says:
-----------
The size S of the hash table can be zero. In this case, the hash table
itself is not contained in the MO file. Some people might prefer this
because a precomputed hashing table takes disk space, and does not win
that much speed. The hash table contains indices to the sorted array of
strings in the MO file. Conflict resolution is done by double hashing.
The precise hashing algorithm used is fairly dependent on GNU gettext
code, and is not documented here.

Happy new year,

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x17756391
        http://pinux.info