grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 on efi32 - Apple Mac Mini

From: peter cros
Subject: Re: GRUB2 on efi32 - Apple Mac Mini
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:16:54 +1100

My current preferred bootloader is SVN version 1913 grub2.efi here on an Apple MacBook2,1. running Macosx10.4 and Ubuntu810 i386 32bit kernel (2.6.27 kernel), together with rEFIt 0.12 (but also used standalone).

The amd64 kernel loaded but failed to complete initialization.

Glad to know grub.efi still runs on the mini.

To date I have not seen any reports of running on later MacBook versions.
and the apple efi refused to load grub.efi on a macbook3,1. I have been trying to get Ubuntu forum people to test on other macs.

I can comment on some of the issues  mentioned.

The rEFIt blesser resets to bless rEFIt on exit from Macosx.
The explanation for this is on the rEFIt site.

rEFIt has a case problem. The efi directory, containing grub.efi and refit.efi, needs to be upper case 'EFI' not 'efi', rEFIt confuses the case in the prefix passed to grub, hence loss of the grub.cfg menu.

The failure to boot legacy bios may be associated with loss of MBR sector partitioning table (happens with the ubuntu linux parted partitioner for GPT/MBR disks). Check by a hexdump of the MBR sector.

I can't get grub.efi to load rEFIt using chainloader, but I don't want to do that.

I find considerable advantage over grub-pc is separate installation, off the linuix file system, and off the disk MBR sector, plus external drive bootability. Requirement to disable accelerated graphics is a stopper for some people. Pity it doesn't work on more macs.

Peter Cros