grub-devel

Re: LVM & RAID10

From: Wojciech Pyczak
Subject: Re: LVM & RAID10
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:32:25 +0100

(...)The only clue I have is
(completly mysterius to me) error message: "We don't support multiple
metadata areas".

Hi,

This error come from lvm, perhaps you can try raid10 first.

I played a bit when I had free time and...
 - I learned to ignore grub error messages :D
 - RAID10 seems to work OK
- LVM @ RAID10 @ single partition (on each disk) results in above error message but if I add small partition (so there are 2 partitions per disk) there is no error. I tried with different number of LVs, different LV names, anything.. could it be some error in grub after all ?

Anyway even if there is no such error grub doesn't work - it appers that core.img doesn't include LVM module (I tried to specify it manually) or just doesn't install at all, of course grub-setup return some error (unknown root device or something..) but in the other hand I saw the same error with root filesystem on RAID device and it actually worked. There is also another problem: when I installed grub on single HD with LVM module in core.img, I couldn't see any LVM devices in the system (only hdX, mdX..), I saw something similar on some mailing list (debian ?) - removing LVM module then inserting it again fixed that problem, however in my case it didn't worked. I'm thinking about installing grub by hand, i.e. creating core.img and copying it along with boot.img after mbr, will that work ? (I just want to bypass grub-setup).

Yes, it should work out of the box, although there is a small catch.
If you're using raid5/raid6 and one/two of the disk is missing or
corrupted, you need to add module raid5rec/raid6rec using the --module
option in grub-install.
Just curiosity - why it's in separate modules ?