grub-devel

I'm a newb, looking for guidance

From: Jay Sullivan
Subject: I'm a newb, looking for guidance
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:48:19 -0500

Hi, I'm very interested in helping out with the grub project, but I don't know where to begin!  I've been interested in the project for a long time, but I try to respect people's time and I don't like to ask stupid questions until I've searched hard for the answers by myself.  I've tried very hard to find good documentation for GRUB, but, erm......all of the decent tutorials out there are incomplete at best, and many of them make too many assumptions to be very helpful.  I've read many tutorials but it seems like each one conflicts with the others.

First of all, I'm having trouble even understanding the grub architecture, and most of that is because I am constantly seeing conflicting information all over the internet due to the common fact that many people are ambiguous with which branch of grub they are referring to. Also, there seems to be a plague of broken and outdated links.

In general, though, I've found that grub is extremely underdocumented; but of the reading material which I have found to be at all helpful, there is a MAJOR tendency to overcomplicate things.  I have a background in C and x86 assembly programming, and have had my fair share of device driving programming.  I enjoy helping others track down bugs in their code, and I love writing idiot-proof tutorials (being the idiot that I am).

I'm not afraid to sit down and read thousands of lines of code if that's what it takes to be up to date with the project. I just want to make sure I'm not headed in the wrong direction or anything.

I remember reading a LONG time ago that the ETA for GRUB-2.0 was "November 2008," and so I expected to start seeing a lot more tutorials devoted to helping people prepare for it, but this hasn't happened as quickly as I'd hoped.  So I figured I would try to delve into the project and see what's REALLY going on.

I've only been using linux for a little over a year, and before that was a windows programmer (yes, I'm ashamed of my past), so I know I won't be much help as far as programming anything useful anytime soon.  I can, however, offer to seek and hunt down typos or inconsistencies in the code comments, that is unless the grub team is against that idea.  I think proper documentation is the key to any project's long term survival, and I take comments seriously and expect them to be unambiguous and at the same time not superfluous.

So then, there's a grub forest of source code files, and I'm ready to walk in.  I'll probably get lost in the woods sometime, so I'd appreciate it if anyone know of a trail I could follow. Thanks!

  -- Jay Sullivan (address@hidden)