grub-devel

Re: Parallel kernel loading and keystroke capture in GRUB2

From: Arthur Marsh
Subject: Re: Parallel kernel loading and keystroke capture in GRUB2
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:15:36 +1030

Arjan van de Ven wrote, on 2008-11-29 02:06:
Vlad wrote:
Hi,

In a recent demonstration of how to boot Linux in 5 seconds [1],
PowerTOP developers did not use GRUB2, even though GRUB2 is a
necessary component of any production and consumer Linux system or
multi-boot environment. As I see it, the greatest disadvantage of
GRUB2 is that it needlessly wastes the time in which it gives the
user the chance to stall the boot sequence in order to make changes
to the boot settings. Of course, having this option available is a
necesity in case the user's hardware requires tweaking the
parameters passed to the kernel. However, GRUB2 should be loading
the default kernel during this time, instead of deferring this
IO-bound task to after the timeout has elapsed.

we used grub 1.
Since popular Linux distros typically display the GRUB2 intro
message for 30 seconds,

I'm not aware of mainstream distributions using grub2 yet. Also, I'm
not aware of any distro using 30 seconds as timeout, the longest I've
seen is 5 seconds.

Debian GNU/Linux offers grub2 as an option on installation.

Arthur.