grub-devel

Re: [OT] made a blog post about grub 1.96+20080724

From: James Shewey
Subject: Re: [OT] made a blog post about grub 1.96+20080724
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:43:09 -0500

This is the beauty of open source. If you think there is a problem, you can jump in and contribute by fixing the problem...

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Yoshinori K. Okuji <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thursday 20 November 2008 17:20:42 Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 18:40 +0530, shirish wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >  Made it to the level I could understand
> >
> > http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/jaunty-and-grub2/#more-2
> >69
> >
> > There are 2 issues though which I hope came out as well :-
> >
> > a. There is absolute lack of documentation about how and what a user
> > is supposed to do.
> > b. This should not be how an end-user should be doing this. I hope
> > there is an emergence of a single or multiple GUI tools which lets
> > end-users touch the /etc/init.d/grub and /etc/default/grub files and
> > update the boot-loader.
> >
> > Suggestions, improvements are invited :)
>
> I believe blog posts are not supposed to be reviewed and refined,
> especially by the developers.  Their time would be better spent on
> writing documentation and improving the code.
>
> If you want to participate in the documentation efforts, I suggest that
> you have a look at the GRUB wiki: http://grub.enbug.org/

I agree.

IMO, if one thinks that the lack of documentation is a problem, he should make
it himself, rather than just complaining. A lot of information is already
piled up onto the GRUB wiki and this mailing list, so anybody can achieve
this work.

(Honestly, I am very pessimistic about this, because of my experience in GRUB
Legacy. In this case, many people only complained continuously for years,
although they could do themselves. So I had to write the manual myself,
merely because I was too tired to see those people any more.)

Regards,
Okuji