grub-devel

Re: PPC64

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: PPC64
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:19:42 -0400

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 19:53 -0200, Manoel wrote:
> Changing the load-base worked in the P5 machine but when I tested in the
> P6 machine I got the following message:
>       Relocation overflow
> In function  grub_arch_dl_relocate_symbols.
> It means that I'm lacking memory?

No.  Look at the code.  For R_PPC_REL24, delta is shifted by 6 bits left
and right and should stay the same.  It's a 32-bit signed integer.  The
overflow would happen for positive numbers that exceed (0x7fffffff>>6)
or 0x01ffffff.  A similar limit exists for negative numbers.  I suggest
that you add some print statements to find out what's happening.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin