grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2 release?

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: GRUB 2 release?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:51:10 +0200

On Sunday 26 October 2008 17:27:50 Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 25.10.2008, 15:33 +0100 schrieb Matt Sturgeon:
> > when will GRUB 2 be released as stable edition, and will there be an
> > installer?
>
> grub-legacy wasn't ever released as stable.
> Though it always depends how you define `stable'.
> In my opion grub2 is more bugfree then grub-legacy, it just doestn't
> have yet every feature from it. For example `map' command and
> savedefault/fallback thing, but instead it has RAID/LVM support for
> example.
>
> There was some talk about a new release 1.97 but unfortunately both
> maintainers are busy with other things so there won't be that soon a new
> release, which could be made from my point of view.

Who has time these days? I can ask the GNU project to appoint yet another
person as a co-maintainer. I don't like to be the bottleneck.

(Note that being a maintainer needs to follow and advocate the philosophy of
GNU, as a representative of the GNU project. So, if you have any important
role in another project (e.g. Debian), I don't recommend being a maintainer.
Otherwise, you will face on conflicts from time to time.)

Regards,
Okuji