grub-devel

Re: forgot passwd, cannot login, [rd]init=/bin/sh don't work

From: Steven Trotter
Subject: Re: forgot passwd, cannot login, [rd]init=/bin/sh don't work
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:20:25 +0100

What does the configure script output for the lines that say

Checking build/host/target system type ...

Steve

On 18 Oct 2008, at 04:44, "Cameron Braid" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM, James Shewey <address@hidden> wrote:
Grub does not manage ubuntu or debian's (or any other distribution's) repositories and has no control  over how often these distros recompile and update these packages. Only their own codebase which is stored in their svn codebase. Debian'snewest package is a little out of date, and ubuntu's newest  package is _really_ out of date. This means that your patch may have already installed your patch in the grub2 codebase and by installing fro your distributon's repository, you wouldn't even know. This means that you can  either  a) file a bug report with your distrbution and wait for the package to propigate (which cold take up to 6 mos for ubuntu for the jaunty jackalope 9.04 release and even longer for debian, depending. You could speed this up by running the alpha version of your distro, but this is not recommended.) or b) break down and install from grub2 svn. Installing from svn is not very hard. The commands are:

svn co http://url
Cd grub2
./configure
make
sudo make install

You would need to look up the url for the grub svn though. Also be aware that grub2 will not compile on a 64 bit system yet.

address@hidden:grub2$ svn info
Repository Root: svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/grub
Repository UUID: d0de0278-0dc1-4c01-8a07-af38b3205e46
Revision: 1886
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: robertmh
Last Changed Rev: 1886
Last Changed Date: 2008-10-05 20:51:23 +1000 (Sun, 05 Oct 2008)

address@hidden:grub2$ uname -a
Linux beast 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Compiles fine for me

Cameron

James