grub-devel

Re: forgot passwd, cannot login, [rd]init=/bin/sh don't work

From: jidanni
Subject: Re: forgot passwd, cannot login, [rd]init=/bin/sh don't work
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:46:04 +0800

Ah, no wonder. These need rewording:

 Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted.
 Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the
 commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line.

 Minimum Emacs-like screen editing is supported. TAB lists
 available completions. Press C-x ('x' with Ctrl) to boot,
 C-c ('c' with Ctrl) for a command-line or ESC to return menu.

Here, I have reworded the latter, preserving terseness, and fixing grammar:

 Minimum Emacs-like editing is supported. TAB lists available
 completions. Press C-x ('x' with Ctrl) to boot, C-c for a
 command-line or ESC to throw away changes and return to menu.

Kindly integrate it into your next version. Thank you.

(There is also a grub screen with its several lines of help text
enclosed by "[  ]". Might as well chuck them too.)

By the way, I indeed now could login now without remembering the password. Use
 linux  /boot/vmlinuz-... root=... rw init=/bin/sh
 initrd /boot/initrd.img-...
The key is the "rw init=/bin/sh". (And after editing /etc/passwd to change
root's :x: to ::, be sure not to just exit the shell, but hit
CTRL-ALT-DEL, else one has to push the reset button.)