grub-devel

Re: rename grub to grub-legacy ?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: rename grub to grub-legacy ?
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:36:51 -0400

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 11:53 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 07.10.2008, 21:24 +0200 schrieb Yoshinori K. Okuji:
> >
> > I have no objection. Sorry for a slow response.
>
> So if I understand it right then
> `svn mv svn+ssh://svn.sv.gnu.org/grub/trunk/grub
> svn+ssh://svn.sv.gnu.org/grub/trunk/grub-legacy'
> should do it, inclusive saving the history?
> I just better ask before trying it out :)

Preserving history is not perfect.  I believe it's impossible to refer
to the old revisions by the new names in diff, so one would need to use
old paths for the pre-move revisions.  Anyway, "svn mv" is the
Subversion way of doing things.  If we are certain that we want to move
the repository, it's better to do it early.  It's also better to do it
when there are no unmerged branches.

I believe Okuji wanted to use a different naming scheme, that would put
"grub2" or "grub-legacy" above trunk.  You may want to check it to avoid
moving things twice.

All the above notwithstanding, I'm still skeptical about the whole
moving idea based on my experience with other projects.  Repositories
are for developers and should be used in the way that minimizes troubles
for developers rather than reduces the entry barrier for newbies.

If GRUB2 is moved in any way, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep the git
mirror at repo.or.cz up to date.  It doesn't seem that git-svn can deal
with it.  I'm going to try to keep is running, but I cannot promise it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin