grub-devel

Re: Patch for different sector sizes

From: Clemens Helfmeier
Subject: Re: Patch for different sector sizes
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:11:45 +0200

Hi everyone,

i have now finished most of the sector size modifications. Still, there are a
few things to be done: e.g. the file system drivers must be checked for correct
handling of places, etc. (ext2 is fixed with this patch, fat works here on a
2048 device without modification, a few others should still be done).

Most likely the ATA and SCSI drivers are also broken. Best would be to have
someone check on that who knows the hardware here.

Unfortunately i could not yet test the bootup procedure since my hardware does
not detect the pendrive which i have here correctly. maybe i will have a
different one with 2048bytes sector size another day. Perhaps there are
volunteers who want to test this patch?

IMPORTANT:
the grub-mkimage tool has got a new option (--sector-size=XX) which must be
given. Since this tool does not actually handle things with hard drives, it can
not detect the correct sector size on it's own. Any suggestions on how to fix
this? (maybe we can make it work with either sector-size or target-device
supplied on command line)

Bye,
 Clemens (sum)