grub-devel

Re: grub2 /boot on lvm on ubuntu - incorrect magic number

From: Cameron Braid
Subject: Re: grub2 /boot on lvm on ubuntu - incorrect magic number
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:24:42 +1000

Is this a bug in grub2 .. i.e. should I submit a bug with the grub2 bugtracker, or should I chase this up with some LVM people ?

Cheers

Cameron

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Cameron Braid <address@hidden> wrote:
> $ sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/Ubuntu-hardy64

I thought that the install_device argument to grub-install had to be a harddisk (to use the MBR) or a partition in which the grub image was installed.  And I thought that grub detects the abstraction based on what /boot points to.

Cameron

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Andy Goth <address@hidden> wrote:
"Cameron Braid" <address@hidden> wrote:
> * root partition is a lvm device (/dev/mapper/Ubuntu-hardy64)
>
> beast:grub2$ sudo grub-install /dev/sdd

From looking at the GRUB 1.96 sources, I get the impression that this command line should be:

$ sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/Ubuntu-hardy64

in order for grub-probe to see the abstraction as GRUB_DEV_ABSTRACTION_LVM.

I could be majorly wrong, and this may have changed between 1.96 and the version that Cameron is using, but... I'm just trying to figure out how GRUB works. :^)

--
Andy Goth | http://andy.junkdrome.org/
address@hiddenaircanopy.net,openverse.com}