grub-devel

[RFC] Different keyborad layouts

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: [RFC] Different keyborad layouts
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:58:12 +0200

Hello,

I was thinking how we could have different keyboard layouts and after
have some ideas I sent some emails to Robert about this topic (who had some
better ideas :-) )

Let me to explain here some plan/design. I would like to research on it
after some weeks, but if we need some discussion we could have it before
:-)

(this is the result of some mails with Robert, so I'm copying/pasting and
changing some things, if I'm wrong Robert correct me!)

Plan:
- in term/i386/pc/at_keyboard.c we could have something like this:

  static char english_map[] = { x, x, x };
  char *map = english_map;

- have a new module with different layouts and variable hook

- when user (or grub.cfg) change some variable (KEY_LAYOUT?), this module would
redefine the term/i386/pc/at_keybord.c char *map to KEY_LAYOUT_map (es_map,
de_map, etc.)

Nowadays at_keyboard.c is not used, I could enable for testing. It seems that
when USB keyboard will be integrated everybody will use at_keyboard.c (or at
least USB and i386-pc)

How it sounds?

It would be very nice for Grub, to have different layouts and localization :-)

Thanks,

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x17756391
        http://pinux.info