grub-devel

Re: setting the system clock before launching operating system

From: Arthur Marsh
Subject: Re: setting the system clock before launching operating system
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:22:47 +0930

Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote, on 2008-09-13 00:13:
Geoff Karl wrote:
I would like to be able to set the clock to a particular time
automatically before launching an operating system.

Anyone have any ideas if this can be done during the boot loader process?

Yes it can be done. But why?

Some machines (e.g. a Compaq Armada 1750) don't have the option to set the time via BIOS or set-up boot floppy.

When the time had been lost, I'd have start-up problems with fsck checking when the file system had last been checked.

Being able to set the time in grub or a program directly launchable from grub would help avoid these problems.

Arthur.