grub-devel

Re: [RFC] DISTLIST and gendistlist.sh

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] DISTLIST and gendistlist.sh
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:06:42 -0400

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:09 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:

> Ok Marco said now on IRC that depending on SVN is okay.
> So attached patch is my proposal.

I'm fine with this, but it would be great to hear from Okuji, since he
is making the releases.

Maybe it would be better to specify svn root in svn export rather than
use the current root?  This way, an svn checkout won't be needed.  It's
just an idea; I don't feel strongly about it.

Also, I'd rather not create a new script.  The makefile syntax is more
suitable for working with lists.  In particular, "filter-out" may be
useful to exclude some files from the distribution if we ever need it.

> Removing DISTLIST and gendistlist.sh completely and replace it with a
> genreleasetarball.sh script.
> make distdir doestn't seem that useful for me but shouldn't be difficult
> to change that in case someone wants to have it.
> Only difference is docs/mdate-sh now actually gets into the .tar.gz.
> Though I wonder why it's there, it's nowhere used and I don't think it's
> that usefull so I suggest to remove it completely.

Both ChangeLog and svn log suggest that it was added on purpose and
meant to be distributed, so it's correct that it gets distributed.  I
think automake-generated makefiles may use it.  Anyway, it can be
removed later, and no additional changes to any files will be needed.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin