grub-devel

RE: grub and root=label=

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: RE: grub and root=label=
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:01:53 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 09.09.2008, 09:55 -0500 schrieb Greg White:

> Yes I am compiling my own kernel.  I am compiling everything I need
> into the kernel.  The policy (written by the previous admin) is to
> compile everything in as the kernel runs faster and is more secure.
> There is no =m in the .config only =y or =n.

I don't know how much speed difference there is but security is true if
you disable support for loading modules.
On my own dedicated server I always did it like that though.

But the initrd/initramfs support is totally independent of this.
It should be possible to have a very little initrd which just handles
the LABEL= parameter and nothing more.