grub-devel

Re: Windows,grub and grub2

From: Viswesh S
Subject: Re: Windows,grub and grub2
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:00:42 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Bean <address@hidden>
To: The development of GRUB 2 <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, 4 September, 2008 11:07:46 PM

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Viswesh S <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

Below is the dump of screen output while chainloading the ntfsnew file.
DI=CFF0 SI=07EE BP=1FF0 SP=1FE8 BX=0000 DX=0000 CX=0000 AX=0000
CS=0000 SS=0000 DS=0000 ES=0000 FG=0246 IP=7C57

DI=7FF0 SI=07EE BP=1FF0 SP=7BF4 BX=55AA DX=0000 CX=0000 AX=0100 CX=07C0
DS=07C0 ES=0000 FG=0007 IP=0082
Could you please let me know the way to disassemble the binary file without any header.The way in which you decoded the boot record.

Also one more thing to let you know is that,

with the grub-1.96 ( without the chainloader patch of disk->dev->read() ) , with windows2003 in partition 1 and linux in partition 3, when we chainload, if we look at the partition table passed to another bootloader ie location 0x7be - we can see that it is junk, but the surprising point is that, in this case as I have mentioned in my first mail, windows boots up from grub2.So it is that the partition table is not required for the chainloader thing and just the boot record is sufficient

Viswesh