grub-devel

Re: Sendkey patch

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Sendkey patch
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:16:16 +0200

El mié, 03-09-2008 a las 20:53 +0300, Vesa Jääskeläinen escribió:
> phcoder wrote:
> > Hello. In this case we can transfer the whole functionality located in
> > kern/loader.c to a dedicated module boot.mod. This module will also
> > register "boot" command. In this way the encapsulation won't be broken
> > and kernel will become even smaller.
>
> Remember that realmode code needs to reside below < 1 MiB. That is the
> reason realmode code is embedded in kernel. In there you only see jumps
> to RM and back to PM.
We could use the relocator functionality that was once discussed here (I
don't know if it was finally committed) so that modules could declare
"bundles" of code+data to be deployed to RM area. Or make sure every
single instruction in there uses 32-bit addressing, together with
artificial EIP-relativization of addresses like in drivemap_int13.S

-Habbit