grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Boot parameters and geometrical stability

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: [RFC] Boot parameters and geometrical stability
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 23:37:43 +0200

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:31:10PM +0200, phcoder wrote:
>>> I assume you talk about GRUB loading itself;  what kind of information would
>>> you pass from one GRUB to the other?
>> Boot device,
>
> Multiboot already handles that (although it's not reliable; I don't
> think this feature should be used anyway).

Feature in multiboot is hmm..: it gives bios device and grub supports
also other devices.
>> configuration file, parameters for scripts.
>
> This assumes the loader knows more than the loadee about this information.
> In which situation would this happen?  Note that both loader and loadee can
> obtain user input.
>
> Which parameters do you have in mind?

I thought of it more like about instruction like: boot from strange
place or enter debug mode in early stage.
>> But much more
>> useful this is for network boot. In this case GRUB can recieve server
>> info in boot parameters so when this info changes there is no need to
>> regenerate grub images.
>
> Doesn't PXE already handle this?

I'm not really familiar with it. Does it support multiple servers. If
let's say we have multiple menus like:
<load linux from server1 (normal copy)>
<load linux from server2 (experimental copy)>
<load freebsd from server3>
Then having recieved names of servers as parameters could sometimes be a
good thing. But still for me this feature is just an idea. I'm still not
persuaded myself whether it's needed.
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko