grub-devel

Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings m

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings more visible
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:37:28 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 03.09.2008, 16:37 +0800 schrieb Bean:

> However, I don't like that it uses ruby to generate makefiles. Ruby is
> not a standard component, so there is a chance that user don't install
> it. I guess perl would be better.

I had somehow already the impression that this ruby based build system
isn't really well maintained ;)
I looked now even a bit over the automake[0] documentation.

For me personally it just looks easier to get into that, because it is
just made for Makefile's instead of some perl/python/ruby script which
generates them.

If automake isn't enough maybe we could use a combination of it with a
small perl script or so?
Though I don't know any perl/python/ruby at all.

I'm willing to really look into this automake stuff if there are no
strong objections against it, in the hope that in the end the build
system is clean, easily understandable and can be well maintained :)

Though this will probable take a little while so I still think Colin's
way would be a good short term solution and for long term we remake the
whole build process with that idea integrated from the beginning.

[0] http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html

--
Felix Zielcke