grub-devel

Re: Idea: Move kernel to upper memory

From: BVK Chaitanya
Subject: Re: Idea: Move kernel to upper memory
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:15:33 +0530

Hi,

What is the conclusion of this thread?  is this idea still explored?

Robert Millan wrote:

The first concern that comes to mind is how would GRUB coexist with the
payload area which precisely starts at 0x100000.  But I expect we'd face
many unexpected issues.

Does this mean, GRUB needs to fit within 1MB limit when all its modules are loaded? More clearly, are there any limits on where (and how many) grub modules can be dynamically loaded currently?

Since payload(s) needs to be present at their precise positions only after the boot command, we can always deterministically /schedule/ memmove operation to be executed as part of boot command.

Since boot command is the last command executed by GRUB (correct me if not), we can overwrite any GRUB code/data at that point. This also needs boot command to exist in low memory.

The main advantage i see here is that it removes any arbitrary limits on number of modules or their placement, if at all limits exists.

thanks,
--
bvk-chaitanya