grub-devel

Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings m

From: Bean
Subject: Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings more visible
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:37:39 +0800

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Felix Zielcke <address@hidden> wrote:
> There exists even a thing called `GNU automake' which converts
> Makefile.am files to Makefile.in
> I never used it though, so I don't really know if it would be easier
> with it then in that ruby stuff currently used.
>
> I'd really love to have this, but if these overrides are not acceptable
> then I doubt we will have it ever.
> I would need ages to find out how to do it with that ruby stuff or even
> how to rewrite the whole build system :(
> I myself wrote only some small little Makefiles not Makefile.am not
> Makefile.in but a final small Makefile.

Hi,

I think automake can't do the job. The grub2 build process is
complicated. For example, it needs to go through all the object files
to generate the module dependence trunk, and append it to *.o to form
the final *.mod. I believe it's very tricky to write a automake script
to handle this.

However, I don't like that it uses ruby to generate makefiles. Ruby is
not a standard component, so there is a chance that user don't install
it. I guess perl would be better.

--
Bean