grub-devel

Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings m

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings more visible
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:47:32 -0700

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:43:54 +0300
Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Robert Millan wrote:

> >> Urm thanks again to Vesa who remembered that Colin brought that
> >> topic originally up here.
> >>
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-06/msg00248.html
> >>
> >> I really would love to have this somehow commited :)
> >
> > I don't remember that discussion well;  ISTR I complained.  Maybe
> > that stopped it?  Anyway, as long as it's user-selectable it's not
> > a problem for me.  Maybe I even end up using it ;-)
>
> I think the strength was that you could provide V=99 (or something
> like that to give previous behavior ("debug feature").

In my 'pretty make' patch, setting V=1 (verbose on) restores original
full command output.

> So basically that is completed.
>
> Only thing perhaps would need attention is to show that now we compile
> for HOST CC and now for TARGET CC or so.

Also, it was suggested that new variables (like CC, STRIP, etc.) be
introduced an instead of overriding the existing variables, which my
patch currently does as follows (this is 90% of the patch
functionality):

### Pretty output control ###
# Set up compiler and linker commands that either is quiet (does not
print # the command line being executed) or verbose (print the command
line).
_CC := $(CC)
_TARGET_CC := $(TARGET_CC)
_STRIP := $(STRIP)
_GENMODSRC := sh $(srcdir)/genmodsrc.sh
ifeq ($(V),1)
 override V_PREFIX :=
 override CC = $(_CC)
 override TARGET_CC = $(_CC)
 override STRIP = $(_STRIP)
 override GENMODSRC = $(_GENMODSRC)
 override INFO_GENCMDLIST =
 override INFO_GENFSLIST =
 override INFO_GENPARTMAPLIST =
 override INFO_GEN_FINAL_COMMAND_LIST =
 override INFO_GEN_FINAL_FS_LIST =
 override INFO_GEN_FINAL_PARTMAP_LIST =
else
 override V_PREFIX := @
 override CC = @echo "COMPILE         $<"; $(_CC)
 override TARGET_CC = @echo "COMPILE(TARGET) $<"; $(_TARGET_CC)
 override STRIP = @echo "STRIP           $@"; $(_STRIP)
 override GENMODSRC = @echo "GENMODSRC       $@"; $(_GENMODSRC)
 override INFO_GENCMDLIST = @echo "GENCMDLIST      $@"
 override INFO_GENFSLIST = @echo "GENFSLIST       $@"
 override INFO_GENPARTMAPLIST = @echo "GENPARTMAPLIST  $@"
 override INFO_GEN_FINAL_COMMAND_LIST = @echo "GENCMDLIST[final]  $@"
 override INFO_GEN_FINAL_FS_LIST = @echo "GENFSLIST[final]   $@"
 override INFO_GEN_FINAL_PARTMAP_LIST = @echo "GENPARTMAPLIST[final]
$@" endif

I have held off on doing this with all new variables, because it would
mean changing *every* reference to the toolchain variables.  I found
that by simply overriding them, it was really nonintrusive, in
general.  However, there were developers that objected to the
overriding.

Regards,
Colin